Sunday, January 29, 2012

Fleece Scarves

Hello Everyone. In an effort not to ignore my blog, I am posting some scarves that I made and gave to my students this past Christmas. The idea came from my good friend Kathy. She told me that one of her son's teachers gave her students these as gifts. I hurriedly ran to JoAnn's and picked up some of the no pill fleece fabric. It was 50% off and I got enough to make 20 scarves and this extra bit for my model.




Can't you see how thrilled he was to pose? I like to wrap back to front and to the back again for the kids. This way the ends are inside the jacket and does not get in the way of playing.




I cannot recall the width of the fabric but I cut the scarves to 8 inches wide and kept the length but just removed the selvage. It is the white piece just under the fringes. To keep it simple I did a sports theme for the boys and a floral motif for the girls.


Aren't these flowers pretty? Love the solid white background. These looked so cute on the girls.



Once I cut the fabric, I used these really cool Fiskars ergonomic scissors to cut it. I tried doing two layers at a time and it was slow going. I elected to cut each layer separately and let me tell you that the fabric cut like butter baby.






Next I tied off each fringe into a small knot.



Initially, I was unsure of whether I wanted to leave them as is or tie them off. I decided to tie them off. I think it makes them look more finished.



A final picture of my model. He really liked it tied this way as it made him resemble a Ninja. I really like this one and tie it that way for my students. Their nose, mouth, ears and neck are covered. Gotta keep out the cold that is now warm. LOL. Mother Nature is being fickle at best. I will take these warm days we have been having. We will be in the low 60s next week.




So, if you are still looking for a cute Valentine's Day idea. Pick up some cute no pill fleece from your local fabric store and crank out about 20 in one night. Pretty and practical.

Until Then.

3 comments:

  1. these are so cute...and so is your model! I think I see a future job for him...lol! Thanks for sharing this great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out so stinking cute. Love the Dino one your handsome model is wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Vee....you have the cutest model around!! And he looks toasty warm!

    ReplyDelete