Sunday, April 25, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mom

My mother celebrated her #?? birthday last week. Since I knew I would not be with her, I created this card and tucked a small gift inside for her to enjoy.


This was created when Flowers to Flourishes was running a Fancy Pants contest and I entered a few projects. I don't think the owner ever followed through on the contest.

Here is a top view. I tried to keep my dimensional elements to a minimum since this had to go through the post.


I made the foundation for this card during my aperture kick but never added any additional embellishments. I have several with the same theme. I love that they are sitting in my container waiting to be finished and personalized for that special someone.


Since this one was for my mother's birthday, I went to my birthday swap stash and pulled a few of the embellisments. I think they work well together.


I needed to leave some white space so that I could write in my sentiments and sign my name.


How did this all come together? I used watercolor paper as my base. I cut the aperture using the Spellbinders scalloped circle die. I then stamped and embossed the cover with clear ink and used the TH Distress Ink Fired Brick to cover the entire card. Next, I wiped the card with a dry paper towel to polish the clear swirls by removing the excess ink.


I turned the card over, reinserted the scalloped circle and covered the inside with the TH Distress Marigold. I dusted a bit of the Fired Brick on the circle for color continuity.

For some reason blogger is turning this picture and no matter how much I manipulate the size it is posting as portrait and not landscape.





For the right side, I measured a piece of watercolor paper and added an additional 1/2 inch to create a fold. The top was glued with a 1/4 inch border showing on the front. I decided not to cover the strip on the inside.
I stamped my sentiments on the scalloped circle and adhered that to the back of the card, added the other embellies and it was finished.

I usually go crazy and fill all of the empty space. I wanted to keep this one simple and clean.

This one was the same. It would only post in portrait.







After locating an envelope, this was ready to bring a smile to my Mom's face.



When I spoke with my Mother, she said that she loves her card. Mmmm, is she saying this because I am her daughter? lol.


I like crafting with watercolor paper because it can take as much ink and water as I want to use and not worry about the paper warping. If you have not tried it, do. Michael's has the Canson paper on a buy one get one. I picked up a few $2.99 packs.


That paper is the perfect opportunity to color, paint, and Ink in the Name of Love.
Until then.

1 comment:

  1. I have some of this watercolor paper, think I need to pull it out and use it. Thanks Vee...I love this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete