Wednesday, November 10, 2010

CropChocolate Online Crop: Challenge 6

Ok, I have to admit that this one was probably my favorite challenge. When I participate in these events, I want to produce something that I can use or send out to someone. The cards made in my Vee-dios are sent out to people, unless they go terribly awry, then I cut them up to make something else. 

This challenge was to create a Thankful Journal. You could make one of your own, directions were provided, or you could alter the front of your binder or notebook. I chose the latter. 

I purchased this black journal quite some time ago. Always with the intentions of enhancing it somehow. This crop challenge provided the perfect opportunity. 



The label is of the easy peel off variety. My hands were itching to remove it and get started. So first I pulled out a stash of potential materials to use.



I sat and stared at everything for a bit, wondering where to start. Then I remembered a layout by Sue Wilson that really appealed to me on some level. I took several of her elements and pulled them into my interpretation. I pulled out my Basic Grey Ambrosia paper pack and selected a few sheets, some stamp images, alphas, and sayings, Spellbinder dies and a few other things I thought I might press into service.


After much cutting, trimming and inking, I was left with this incredible journal in which to record my thoughts and actions on being thankful and showing my gratitude to those who help me.


All of the papers are from the Basic Grey Ambrosia collection. I just love the warmth of the colors in this line. It is reminiscent of India to me. The patterns are awesome and there is such a nice mix.

I used several Spellbinder dies: Beaded Ovald, Labels 10 and Labels One and the Classic Oval. I inked the edges of the dies with Distress Ink, dipped them in clear embossing powder and heat set the powder.
The large background oval was cut from a Fiskars large oval template. I used the Martha Stewart corner Family punch to go around the oval.










Once that was completed I pulled out a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Inks and used those to enhance the oval. I also used an Inque Boutique swirl stamp and used the Distress Inks with it. My son caused me to drop my ink pad on the oval, and I covered that with the Labels One Nestability die.

 







I used the Nestabilities as a template and traced the outside rim to get a smaller border around my pieces.









I stamped Be Thankful and Gratitude using an Inkadinkado harvest set. Embossed and heat set them and then went over them with my Sakura black gel pen. Will have to tell you the story about how I destroyed my embossing gun. Yep, melted that sucker right on down. But I digress. I glued the two pieces together using my ATG. At this point I used my Ranger white gel pen to place decorative dots around each cut's narrow frame.









The Bible quote was computer generated. I cut it using a Spellbinder Classic Oval die so that it would fit on top of the beaded oval die. I inked the inside edge with Tumbled Glass. I added some bling to the black beaded oval by 'painting' the beads with my embossing pen and then painting on some gold Pearl Ex powder. I did set the faux beads with a fixative.









At this point it was time to layer all of the pieces. The punched family went down first. Then I placed the Labels One die, then the Labels 10 die and finally the quoted piece. I thought about tying a ribbon and adding pearls or rhinestones or dew drops to the points between the family but opted not to do so. I like the look of this journal.


Yippee, got to use my inks. I am very thankful to Tim Holtz for dreaming of and then ultimately creating this wonderful line of inks.
In the name of love of course.
Until then.

P.S. The final challenge, #7, was hosted by Laura. You will have to return to see my take on her challenge project.

5 comments:

  1. Vee, this turned out so beautifully....it looks like a beautiful piece of art, to hold beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love doing inspiration journals and yours has inspired me to get busy & make some journals as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies. I guess I could crank out a few for gifts also. Goodness knows I have enough paper to make a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so pretty..Love that line of Basic Grey. This wasn't up yet when I voted..Wish it was..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vee, You out did yourself on this one is beautifully!! Cannot wait to see the next challenge that you have.

    Please give your son a big hug and kiss from me. Schuyler

    vswaddy620@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete