Monday, March 2, 2009

The Brown Series One

Hello again.

Wow, do I have a treat for you. While cleaning in my studio, I came across some papers I had used for designing some wedding invitation samples. Then I remembered the Little Yellow Bicycle stamps that I had recently received and the creative juices began flowing.

I recalled that I had cut the sample paper to specific measurements. Then I thought how can I test my new stamps and use up all of my paper to create a variety of cards by simply changing the greeting/journaling?

This is the first result of my efforts. I had so much fun working on this card. I did hit a lull when I could not decide how to or if I should use the medallions. Yes, you read correctly. I stamped with Tim Holtz Marmalade Distress Ink and cut out three of them. I finally settled on the one in the left hand corner. You will probably see the other two show up on another card.

The Thank You is from Imaginisce, stamped with Anna Griffin Chocolate ink and trimmed using the Deckle edge scissors. All other paper used on the card is from Bazzill texture. I love the Bling paper, especially the String of Pearls which is what I used for the medallion and the Thank You. The handwriting stamp is from Paper Wishes Hot off the Press. I absolutely adore their rubber stamps. The detail is incredible.

And now for the focal part of the card. That breathtaking butterfly and the stem of flowers. I could not decide how to approach the butterfly. I finally decided to use a variety of the Tim Holtz Distress inks with my stipple brush. Once I had coverage in about three different shades, I pounced using the Chocolate ink. The outline of the insect was meant to be left open, but I closed it off by using a Marvy Uchida brown fine tip marker.

For the flowers I used a variety of Marvy markers. Lt green and dark green was used on the leaves. That same brown was used for the stem and the flower were a mixture of orange and scarlet. I tried to go deeper on the edges of the flowers to give them some depth. I was pleased with the overall presence of the card. The small dots leading to the butterfly are also from a LYB stamp set. The ribbon is American Crafts, brad from PaperWishes and flowers are Prima. Of couse I could not leave well enough alone. Once I had finished stamping the handwriting pattern, I used that same brown ink to pounce the edges of the card. A bit of orange was mixed in for the top and bottom of the card.
My aim is to see how much I can maximize this color combination. Of course each one will be happily Inked in the Name of Love.
Until then.

1 comment:

  1. i was referred to your blog by Sharon Eaton from work for wedding invitations but i don't see any can you contact me via email about your sample at